If you have the opportunity to remodel a bathroom and replace the tub, be sure to do your research before investing in one. If you are torn between a cast iron fixture and a fiberglass centerpiece, consider the following pros and cons of each.
Pros and Cons of Fiberglass Tubs
- Easy to repair: If scratched or damaged, these tubs are easily fixed with fiberglass repair.
- Cost-efficient: Fiberglass tubs are generally less expensive than cast iron tubs.
- Durable: When constructed with quality materials and manufactured correctly, these tubs are extremely hard and durable
- Flex: Fiberglass tubs tend to flex because of the manufacturing process in which they are stretched around a mold.
- Easily damaged: These tubs are prone to scratches and cracking.
- Hard, but not as hard: Although fiberglass tubs are extremely durable, they are not as hard as enameled cast iron.
Pros and Cons of Cast Iron Tubs
- Strength: Cast iron plumbing fixtures are known for their durability and strength.
- Minimal cracks: Although enamel scratches and can chip, this can be fixed, even with DIY bathtub refinishing. Rarely does a cast iron tub crack.
- No Flex: Cast iron simply does not flex. Cast iron fixtures have a thick enamel coating that is fused to the cast iron in high temperature ovens. During this process, the enamel becomes extremely hard, close to the hardness of glass.
- Cost: Cast iron tubs, particularly classic claw foot tubs, can be very expensive.
- Size: Cast iron tubs tend to run small in size. If you have someone in your home that is over six feet tall, they may feel cramped in this tub.
- Particular cleaning: As far as cleaning goes, cast iron tubs can be high maintenance. Be sure when you are scrubbing the tub that you use a non-abrasive cleaning product, because abrasives can scratch a cast iron tub.
Unfortunately, both cast iron tubs and fiberglass products become dull after a few years of normal use. More importantly, they can form cracks which result in water leaking out of the unit. These cracks and other types of damage can be easily repaired by the tub refinishing and fiberglass repair experts at Tub, Tile & Tops. We’ll not only repair and refinish your cast iron or fiberglass unit, but we’ll also determine what caused the damage and take steps to thoroughly seal the areas affected. Contact us today at 615-469-0756 for a free fiberglass repair and refinishing estimate. We serve Nashville, TN; Brentwood, TN; Hendersonville, TN and the surrounding areas.